Breivik Trial: Shot Survivor Wrote In Blood

May 16th, 20125:24 pm @


To view this content you need Flash and Javascript enabled in your browser.

Please download Flash from the Adobe download website.

6:02pm UK, Wednesday May 16, 2012

Trygve Sorvaag in Oslo, Norway

A survivor unable to speak after being shot in the face by Anders Behring Breivik has told how he spat out blood and used it to write out his family’s telephone number.

Giving evidence at the mass killer’s trial in Norway’s capital Oslo, Glenn Martin Waldenstrom recounted how Breivik opened fire in a meeting room in a cafe building on Utoya island.

Some 69 people lost their lives in a shooting spree there during a summer camp of the country’s Labour party youth movement last July.

Waldenstrom, 20, asked that Breivik leave the courtroom and the killer monitored proceedings via monitors in a back room.

Clearly nervous and breathing heavily, Mr Waldenstrom told the trial: “I saw him entering the (meeting) room calmly. He looked me straight in my eyes. He looked confused.”

He said he was shot once in the face, adding: “I could not talk so I spat some blood on the floor and wrote my family’s telephone number in the blood. Someone called my family.”

Follow the day’s events from the trial as they happened here:

He also said he heard someone shouting: “Please do not shoot”. Mr Waldenstrom was rescued in a boat and then taken by ambulance to a helicopter.

The trial also heard how a teenage girl survived the shootings on Utoya island after she lay under a dead body.

Ingvild Leren Stensrud, 17, was in the same meeting room when Breivik opened fire, killing seven people inside.

She said she was shot in the shoulder and stayed underneath the body until the firing stopped.

Ms Stensrud told the court that she took a phone from the purse of her dead friend and called her mother.

Cafe building on Utoya island in Norway where Anders Breivik opened fire

Breivik opened fire in a meeting room in this building (Picture: @TrygveSorvaag on Twitter)

The girl said: “I did not dare to talk too loud with my mother. I do not think they (her family) understood what was going on. I just had to hang up.”

She explained that “mobile phones were ringing everywhere but no-one was picking up”.

The victim said there were a number of dead and injured people around her and she was afraid she was going to bleed to death.

Ms Stensrud also claimed she heard Breivik shouting with joy while he was shooting. The killer has denied this allegation.

She said other survivors came out of the toilets and carried her out of the building. Police officers then stopped the bleeding.

The victim also told the trial she still finds it difficult to be among large crowds.

Another survivor to give evidence was an 18-year-old man, who did not want to be named. He was attacked in the same room as Mr Waldenstrom and Ms Stensrud.

The man said when Breivik opened fire his first reaction was to “play dead”. He then noticed he was shot in the arm and foot.

The victim said the person next to him was shot several times, ending with a bullet to the head.

Norway Killings: How Breivik Planned Massacre

He told the court Breivik re-loaded his gun “very calmly” and was “sure” he was going to die. He was in great pain and bleeding, adding: “The blood was warm at first, then very cold. I was freezing”.

He said he did not hear Breivik say anything during the attack, and described the killer as a traitor of the country, which brought a smile from the defendant.

A fourth survivor, an unnamed woman, was in a doorway between the meeting room and the corridor of the cafe when the firing started.

The 22-year-old was shot in her right knee but she managed to jump out a window.

She told the trial: “I heard him loading his gun and shooting towards people in the water. I played dead, but jumped a bit every time he shot.”

The woman was able to get to a pump house. She said she waved at a boat to show she was “still alive” and a man then carried her to the vessel.

Breivik has admitted carrying out the shootings on Utoya island and an earlier bombing of a government building in the capital Oslo, where eight people died.

The 33-year-old, who has been charged with committing “acts of terror”, refuses to plead guilty, insisting the attacks were “cruel but necessary”.

On Tuesday, several survivors of the Utoya atrocity also gave chilling accounts of the gun rampage.

:: See the eight-page indictment from the prosecutors

:: See a timeline of Breivik’s trial

Article source: