Breivik Trial: Survivors’ Chilling Accounts

May 14th, 201211:16 am @


Anders Breivik in court on May 14

Anders Breivik arrives in the Oslo court on Monday morning

12:12pm UK, Monday May 14, 2012

Survivors of the attacks by Norwegian mass killer Anders Breivik have given chilling accounts of how they cheated death, as they came face-to-face with him in court.

The court in Oslo has been hearing from people who survived the attacks on the island of Utoya, where 69 of Breivik’s 77 victims died.

Up to five survivors are expected to give evidence today.

The first witness, a teenage girl, said she took refuge in a forest and then swam to the mainland.

She said it was only after she got out of the water that she realised she had been wounded.

The girl revealed she is still recovering from her ordeal in an institution.

:: Read the Sky News live blog from the Oslo court

Sky’s Trygve Sorvaag, at the trial, said: “These young witnesses are clearly nervous.

“It must be difficult recalling the horrors of the island in front of the man who tried to kill them last summer.”

Another survivor, a teenage boy who suffered a serious lung wound, told the court he smeared soil over his face and body as he hid in a forest from Breivik.

Although he had called the emergency services, he said he was wary of his rescuers at first because Breivik was also dressed as a policeman.

To view this content you need JavaScript enabled in your browser and Flash installed.

Click here to download the latest version of Flash
flash icon

The third survivor, a 20-year-old girl, was shot in the foot by Breivik and spent nearly an hour in frigid water before being rescued by a boat.

She had pulled the bullet out of her foot with her fingers, and initially thought the killer was in the boat trying to hunt her down.

Rescuers later said the cold water had stemmed the blood loss from her foot wound.

She said: “We won. He lost. Norwegian youth can swim”.

The next witness was an 18-year-old male student, who ran from Breivik after he shot a girl in the head. He later saw his best friend fall to his death as they tried to cling to a cliff.

The testimony from Marius Hoft, one of the very last to be rescued, reduced some people listening in court to tears.

“Breivik was just above me shooting at people.

“I started crying but decided to wait with the tears until I was safe. I wanted to survive and thought about my mother.”

Mr Hoft also revealed that he suffers from insomnia as a result of the attack, and has been unable to work or study since the shooting spree.

Norway Killings: How Breivik Planned Massacre

Breivik, 33, showed no emotion as the witnesses recalled the horror of July 22, after he set off a car bomb in Oslo and then attacked a youth group on the island.

On Friday, anger boiled over when the first youths from Utoya met the man who tried to kill them at their summer camp near the capital Oslo last July.

The trial was briefly interrupted when Hayder Mustafa Qasim, 20, a relative of one victim, threw a shoe at Breivik in court.

He had flown in from Iraq to hear his younger brother’s autopsy report being read out.

Mr Qasim stood up in court room 250 on what was the last day of the 69 autopsies from Utoya and hurled his right shoe at Breivik.

“Go to hell, go to hell, you killed my brother,” he shouted out.

:: See the eight-page indictment from the prosecutors

Other victims and families applauded and cried as he was taken away by police and medical staff.

The police officer in charge of security indicated Mr Qasim would not be punished for the shoe attack.

Court staff will be bracing themselves for more tension over the next two weeks as another 38 survivors of Breivik’s attacks give evidence.

Breivik has admitted responsibility for a bomb blast that killed eight people in Oslo in addition to the island deaths.

But he has pleaded not guilty to murder, claiming he acted in self-defence.

The trial will decide whether he receives a prison sentence or is declared legally insane and sent to a psychiatric facility.

Article source: