FA Left In Turmoil After Capello Quits

February 9th, 20125:25 am @

0


Fabio Capello

Fabio Capello arriving home after resigning as England manager

3:15am UK, Thursday February 09, 2012

Ian Dovaston, sports news correspondent

The Football Association will today outline its plans for the European Championships after manager Fabio Capello’s sudden resignation.

FA chairman David Bernstein and its general secretary Alex Horne will hold a news conference at midday to explain how the organisation will move forward.

    Overall: Played 41, Won 28, Drawn 7, Lost 6.

    Competitive: Played 22, Won 15, Drawn 5, Lost 2.

    Biggest win: 6-0 v Andorra (World Cup qualifier, Wembley). June 10, 2009.

    Biggest defeat: 1-4 v Germany (World Cup Finals last 16, Bloemfontein). June 27, 2010.

Fabio Capello at the Euro 2012 qualifier between England and Switzerland

The appearance comes less than 24 hours after Capello quit following a meeting at Wembley with Mr Bernstein and Mr Horne on Wednesday night.

The manager, 65, who earlier this week publicly condemnd the FA’s decision to strip John Terry of the England captaincy, has resigned with immediate effect.

Mr Bernstein and Mr Horne will be joined at the press conference by fellow Club England members Sir Trevor Brooking and Adrian Bevington.

They will be quizzed about whether Capello was forced out or fell on his sword, as well as the FA’s plans for the European Championships just four months away.

:: READ MORE – Who Will Lead England Next?

A simple interim measure ahead of a friendly against World Cup finalists Holland on February 29 would be to put England under-21 manager Stuart Pearce in charge.

This would give the FA breathing space to pursue the man who will lead England to Poland and the Ukraine for Euro 2012.

Spurs manager Harry Redknapp – having been cleared by a jury of tax evasion on the very same day as Capello’s resignation – is the favourite to take on the job.

Harry Redknapp

Harry Redknapp is the favourite to takeover as England manager

Redknapp may feel a duty to continue his commitment to a club that has stuck by him during what he described on Wednesday as a five year “nightmare”.

But the 64-year-old may also believe that, in the circumstances, he can lead England in the summer.

England striker Wayne Rooney has already given Redknapp his backing, writing on Twitter: “Gutted capello has quit. Good guy and top coach. Got to be english to replace him. Harry redknapp for me [sic].”

And TottenhamNews posted on its Twitter account: “The news Spurs fans dreaded – Capello resigns.”

The FA issued a brief statement on Wednesday night but has so far released few details of its crunch summit with Capello.

It said: “The discussions focused on the FA board’s decision to remove the England captaincy from John Terry, and Fabio Capello’s response through an Italian broadcast interview.

“In a meeting, for over an hour, Fabio’s resignation was accepted and he will leave the post of England manager with immediate effect.”

:: READ MORE – Capello’s Highs And Lows As England Boss

Mr Bernstein added: “I would like to stress that during today’s meeting and throughout his time as England manager, Fabio has conducted himself in an extremely professional manner.

‘We have accepted Fabio’s resignation, agreeing this is the right decision. We would like to thank Fabio for his work with the England team and wish him every success in the future.”

Capello was quoted by an Italian news agency saying: “What forced me to take this decision was the fact that this long instilled sense of Anglo Saxon justice, of innocent until proven guilty, which they are the first to preach was not allowed to run.

“In the Terry case, I was seriously snubbed and my authority as England manager was undermined creating a problem with the team.”

The FA have denied the quotes are accurate.

Capello’s son Pierfilippo told Sky News: “I have spoken with Dad and he is fine. For the time being, we are not going to say anything because that is the agreement we have with the FA, we shall see how things go and then maybe we will speak.”

The Italian was appointed England manager in December 2007 after the departure of Steve McClaren.

His arrival was met with great optimism but his reputation suffered following England’s dismal display in the 2010 World Cup and he had been due to leave the job later this year.

Article source: http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Fabio-Capello-Resigns-Football-Association-To-Explain-Next-Steps/Article/201202216166201?f=rss