All the people affected by the disease are in their 70s and 80s
4:03am UK, Friday February 03, 2012
Two British pensioners have died after contracting Legionnaires’ disease while on holiday in Spain.
The men died after staying at the Diamante Beach Hotel in Calpe, Spain, Saga Holidays said.
One died in hospital while the other was found dead in his hotel room.
Three other people are still being treated in hospital for the disease and another has been discharged.
The holiday company said five other people who recently stayed at the same hotel have been treated in hospital in the UK and all but one have been discharged.
A spokesman for Saga said: “It was reported to us on Saturday January 14 that customers who had stayed at the Diamante Beach Hotel in Spain was being treated for pneumonia caused by legionella.
“When that happened we immediately sent out a scientific expert to Spain and informed our guests there and offered to move them to a different hotel.
The pensioners were on holiday with Saga
“We also contacted people who had stayed at the hotel in the previous month telling them to contact their doctor if they were experiencing flu-like symptoms.”
The spokesman said the company moved all clients to a new hotel after their expert conducted tests on water samples.
All people affected are in their 70s and 80s.
“This is clearly a very upsetting time for families and staff. We have sent extra people to Spain to support them in any way we can. We treat people on our holidays are part of the family and this is a great tragedy and our condolences go out,” the spokesman said.
The company will be offering compensation to the holidaymakers who contracted the bacterium and has suspended sending clients to the hotel, he added.
The names of the two men who died have not been released.
Legionnaires’ disease is a form of pneumonia which is caused by a bacteria that can be found naturally in environmental water sources such as rivers, lakes and reservoirs.