Jean-Claude Mas, who ran PIP until it was closed in 2010, was arrested at his home in Marseilles
8:44am UK, Thursday January 26, 2012
The former boss of the French company at the centre of a breast implant scandal affecting tens of thousands of women has been arrested.
Jean-Claude Mas, who ran the now-defunct Poly Implant Prothese (PIP), was held at his home in Marseilles shortly before dawn.
More than 40,000 women across the UK received PIP implants.
Fears have been raised that they could rupture and leak silicone into the body, and pose a cancer risk, because they were filled with non-medical grade silicone intended for use in mattresses.
German and French authorities have said the implants, which were supplied around the world, should be taken out, but women in Britain have been told there is no evidence to support routine removal.
A grab from Interpol’s website on December 24 shows Jean-Claude Mas, who was wanted by Costa Rican authorities
Adverts run by the Government in newspapers this month stressed that no link to cancer has been found and there is no clear evidence that they are dangerous.
The adverts say patients who had their surgery on the NHS will be able to have the implants removed and replaced free of charge.
Women who had the implants done privately will need to speak to their clinic to see if they will also replace them for free.
If a private clinic refuses to do so or no longer exists, the NHS will also pay to remove, but not replace, those implants if the woman’s GP agrees and there is clinical need.
The British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons said it believes the implants should be removed as a precaution.
Mr Mas, 72, who ran PIP until it was closed in March 2010, has said previously he would not comment publicly on the case.
:: Women who are concerned about PIP implants can visit the NHS website for the latest news and advice.