SAS hero ‘living in B&B after council failed to find home’

January 17th, 20187:54 pm @

0


  • The former solider, who is now in his 60s, was forced to ask for help from the SAS
  • He’d approached Hertfordshire Council but it failed to provide accommodation
  • Regiment is currently paying for the vet to stay in a local BB for several months
  • Soldier was among those to take part in daring raid for Iranian embassy in 1980

Alexander Robertson For Mailonline

38

View
comments

An SAS hero who stormed the Iranian Embassy during the iconic 1980 raid is living in a BB because the council cannot find him a home, it has been revealed.

The former solider, who is now in his 60s, was forced to ask for help from the SAS after Hertfordshire Council failed to provide any accommodation.

The regiment is currently paying for the veteran, who wishes to remain anonymous, to stay in a local BB for several months.

Fellow veteran Trevor Coult, a recipient of the Military Cross, revealed the soldier’s plight in a tweet today, provoking the anger or many other social media users.

The veteran was among those who took part in the famous SAS raid of the Iranian embassy in 1980

The veteran was among those who took part in the famous SAS raid of the Iranian embassy in 1980

Fellow veteran Trevor Coult, a recipient of the Military Cross, revealed the soldier's plight in a tweet today, provoking the anger or many other social media users

Fellow veteran Trevor Coult, a recipient of the Military Cross, revealed the soldier’s plight in a tweet today, provoking the anger or many other social media users

Speaking to The Sun, he said: ‘This guy abseiled off the roof of the Iranian and took out targets, he eliminated several of them.

‘He’s since split with his wife and had been trying for council house, but he didn’t want to go for help.

‘He finally spoke to Herefordshire Council and has been back five times since. But they said to him he will have to wait. He keeps getting fobbed off.’

A spokesperson for the local authority said: ‘Herefordshire Council can confirm that it is actively working with this individual to secure accommodation within the county.

‘Unfortunately, to date the individual has not provided all the documentation needed to legally register for housing.

‘However, regardless of this, the council’s housing team has found and offered two different forms of accommodation, in areas which were agreeable to the individual, but which have subsequently been turned down.

‘We are continuing to work with the individual to help them secure appropriate housing.’

According to Mr Coult, the veteran was among those who took part in the famous SAS raid of the Iranian embassy in 1980. 

A group of six gunmen took mostly embassy staff hostage but among them was BBC sound recordist Sim Harris who was at the embassy to get a visa. 

According to Mr Coult (pictured), the regiment is currently paying for the veteran to stay in a local BB for several months.

According to Mr Coult (pictured), the regiment is currently paying for the veteran to stay in a local BB for several months.

The terrorists demanded the release of prisoners in Khuzestan Province in southern Iran during a series of tense negotiations with the police.

After becoming frustrated with the lack of progress over five days, they shot one of the hostages and threw his body out of the embassy.

The death was the signal for the SAS – motto Who Dares Wins – to be sent in.

The SAS teams, who had arrived secretly in London from their Hereford base, were given permission by Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher to carry out a rescue mission.

On the evening of May 5, TV news cut into normal programming to broadcast the beginning of the end of the siege as the SAS soldiers abseiled down the building.

Millions watched in awe as they tossed stun grenades into the building to begin their assault.  

The televised raid was the first time the British public had ever seen the Special Forces soldiers in action and elevated them to superstar status. 

The televised raid was the first time the British public had ever seen the Special Forces soldiers in action and elevated them to superstar status

The televised raid was the first time the British public had ever seen the Special Forces soldiers in action and elevated them to superstar status


Comments 29

Share what you think

The comments below have not been moderated.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

Close

 

Close

We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on MailOnline. To do this we will link your MailOnline account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook.

You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy.

Article source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5280713/SAS-hero-living-B-B-council-failed-home.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490