Two baby triplets are found dead at their home

September 23rd, 20176:57 pm @

0


  • The five-month-old pair were discovered not breathing at their home in Wales
  • South Wales Police say their deaths are being treated as a ‘tragic accident’
  • The third triplet was healthy at the home in Wildmill, Bridgend, South Wales 
  • It is believed the children were killed by suspected carbon monoxide poisoning 

Keiran Southern For Mailonline

67

View
comments

Two baby triplets were found dead in their home today after being tragically killed in their sleep.

Sarah Owens, 29, found two of her three five-month-old boys not breathing this morning. The third brother survived.

Ambulance crews were called to the private home she was renting in Wildmill, Bridgend, South Wales, at 10.05am.

The boys’ godmother Siobahn Boyd set up a justgiving page to raise money for Ms Owens. She wrote: ‘Two of my beautiful godsons passed away’.

Two baby triplets were found dead in their home today after being tragically killed in their sleep. Pictured: The triplets

Two baby triplets were found dead in their home today after being tragically killed in their sleep. Pictured: The triplets

Ms Owens had moved in after the triplets’ birth in April – but is due to move out as the privately owned house in a block of four has been sold.

Two baby triplets were found dead in their home today after being killed by suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in their sleep

Two baby triplets were found dead in their home today after being killed by suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in their sleep

The five-month-old boys were discovered not breathing at their home by police - although the third triplet brother survived

The five-month-old boys were discovered not breathing at their home by police – although the third triplet brother survived

Neighbour Anne Way, 64, said: ‘It was awful, I saw a firemen carrying one of the babies out in his arms.

‘The poor little thing was grey in the face, I would say he was already dead.

‘They worked on the other one in the ambulance but there was nothing they could do.’

The two triplets were pronounced dead at the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend.

Police say their death is being treated as a ‘tragic accident’ although no further details were being released. 

Mrs Way said the babies’ single mother had taken them for a check-up on Friday at the local clinic.

She said: ‘They were born premature because they were triplets but they were all doing so well.

‘Their mother doted on them, she is a lovely girl and a good mother who gets lots of help from her parents.

‘They were beautiful little boys and coming along well.’

Mrs Way said the babies’ grandfather had been back to the three-bedroom house after the tragedy.

She said: ‘He told me they had ruled out carbon monoxide. They don’t know what caused it.

‘They are carrying out tests and having post mortems, it’s just dreadful.’

The mother moved into the privately rented house 10 weeks ago but was due to leave next month because it was sold by her landlord.

She was living with her parents when the triplets were born in April and was expected to move back in with them.

Police would not comment on the theory the infants died from by carbon monoxide poisoning from a heating system in the house.

Two baby triplets were found dead in a mystery double tragedy at their home in Wildmill, Bridgend, South Wales today (pictured)

Two baby triplets were found dead in a mystery double tragedy at their home in Wildmill, Bridgend, South Wales today (pictured)

The two babies were later pronounced dead at the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend

The two babies were later pronounced dead at the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend

The five-month-old pair were discovered not breathing at their home in Wildmill, Bridgend, (pictured) after paramedics were called at 10.05am on Saturday

The five-month-old pair were discovered not breathing at their home in Wildmill, Bridgend, (pictured) after paramedics were called at 10.05am on Saturday

A South Wales Police spokesman said: ' At 10.05am emergency services attended an address in the Wildmill area of Bridgend

A South Wales Police spokesman said: ‘ At 10.05am emergency services attended an address in the Wildmill area of Bridgend

A South Wales Police spokesman said: ‘At 10.05am emergency services attended an address in the Wildmill area of Bridgend to a report of two young children, two of triplets, who were found not breathing.

‘The five month old children were conveyed to hospital where tragically they were later pronounced deceased.

Carbon monoxide poisoning 

Carbon monoxide is known as the ‘silent killer’ because it is a poisonous gas with no smell or taste.

Every year in the UK, more than 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, which leads to around 50 deaths.

After carbon monoxide is breathed in, it enters your bloodstream and mixes with haemoglobin (the part of red blood cells that carry oxygen around your body) to form carboxyhaemoglobin.

When this happens, the blood is no longer able to carry oxygen, and this lack of oxygen causes the body’s cells and tissue to fail and die.

‘There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the deaths which are being treated as a tragic accident.’

Officers were not releasing other details of the tragedy as the family were being comforted over the two deaths.

Police would not comment on the reports of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning but a source confirmed more tests are expected.

A police source said: ‘This is a particularly sensitive incident, which is still ongoing.’

The South Wales Fire Service declined to comment on their role in the tragedy.

Police did not identify the family.

A Home Office pathologist has been called in to carry out a post mortem examination on the two babies.

A file is due to be prepared for Glamorgan coroner Andrew Barkley and an inquest is expected to be opened next week.

The Welsh Ambulance Service confirmed they sent three emergency ambulances to the scene as well as one ambulance car.

The Emergency Medical Retrieval and Transfer Service (EMRTS) Cymru air ambulance was called but ambulances had already left for the the Princess of Wales Hospital by the time they arrived.

Two baby triplets were found dead in their home today after being killed by suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in their sleep

Two baby triplets were found dead in their home today after being killed by suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in their sleep

A file is due to be prepared for Glamorgan coroner Andrew Barkley and an inquest is expected to be opened next week

A file is due to be prepared for Glamorgan coroner Andrew Barkley and an inquest is expected to be opened next week

The Emergency Medical Retrieval and Transfer Service (EMRTS) Cymru air ambulance was called

The Emergency Medical Retrieval and Transfer Service (EMRTS) Cymru air ambulance was called


Comments 67

Share what you think

The comments below have been moderated in advance.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

Close

Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual.

 

Close

Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual

We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on MailOnline. To do this we will link your MailOnline account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook.

You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy.

Article source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4912714/Two-baby-triplets-dead-home.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490