- BBC2 presenter Chris Evans, 50, had been facing sexual assault claims
- Female former colleague said he ‘bullied her after she rejected advances’
- Evans said he was the victim of a ‘witch hunt’ and denied all allegations
- Metropolitan Police has dropped investigation due to a lack of evidence
Amie Gordon For Mailonline
In the clear: Chris Evans, picture today, will face no further action over allegations that he groped and flashed a former colleague while he worked on the 1990s hit The Big Breakfast
Chris Evans looked serious as he arrived for work today hours after police said he will face no further action over allegations that he sexually assaulted a former colleague.
The married television presenter had faced allegations from a former colleague that he had ‘bullied her after she rejected his advances’.
However the Metropolitan Police tonight confirmed the force has dropped the case due to a lack of evidence.
It is understood the 50-year-old, who had always denied the claims, was questioned by officers from the Metropolitan Police’s Sexual Offences, Exploitation and Child Abuse Command today.
Earlier this month he dramatically quit as host of Top Gear on the same day that the Metropolitan Police confirmed he was being investigated over claims that he grabbed the breasts of the woman and flashed her daily.
The woman had claimed she worked with the father-of-three in the 1990s and alleged she was ‘bullied’ by him after rejecting his advances, with her complaints falling on deaf ears.
She said the incidents left her traumatised and on anti-depressants.
The incidents were alleged to have taken place in Tower Hamlets, east London – where Mr Evans hosted The Big Breakfast between 1992 and 1994.
Detectives are believed to have taken statements from a number of his former colleagues.
A spokesman for Mr Evans said: ‘The police have acted with complete tact, grace and speed and done a thorough and good job in a reasonable time.’
The TV star, 50, hit out at what he called a ‘witch hunt’ around him that had a ‘devastating’ effect on his family.
Speaking earlier this month, he said: ‘All these bullying claims and other allegations are just ridiculous.’
He described how he and wife Natasha and their two young children Noah, seven, and Eli, four, live a ‘normal life’ in a small area and said the accusations amounted to a ‘witch-hunt’.
‘All these bullying claims and other allegations are just ridiculous,’ he said.
The married television presenter, pictured on his way into BBC Radio studios for his show today, had faced allegations from a former colleague that he had ‘bullied her after she rejected his advances’
The incidents were alleged to have taken place in Tower Hamlets, east London – where Evans hosted The Big Breakfast between 1992 and 1994. The presenter is pictured here with his co-stars on the show in 1992
The TV star, 50, hit out at what he called a ‘witch hunt’ around him that had a ‘devastating’ effect on his family
Speaking anonymously in May, the woman said she was ‘sent to Coventry’ after spurning the Radio 2 DJ’s advances and that he ‘told colleagues not to talk to her’.
The former colleague said she was speaking out to prevent others becoming victims of his ‘bullying behaviour’.
She said she sought legal advice over her claims several years ago, particularly around the ‘flashing’, which she said was a tactic to ‘punish those who didn’t do what he wanted’.
In a statement, the Metropolitan Police said: ‘An allegation of non-recent sexual assault was made to police on Monday, 23 May 16.
‘The allegation was made by a woman against a man. It related to incidents in Tower Hamlets in the 1990s.
‘The matter was investigated by officers from the Sexual Offences, Exploitation and Child Abuse Command.
‘Today, Thursday 28 July 2016, a man in his 50s was interviewed under caution by police at an East London police building.
‘The decision was made by the police that there was insufficient evidence to proceed.’
The presenter is the latest in a long line of celebrities to be investigated over historic sexual offences on the basis of seemingly flimsy evidence, including Sir Cliff Richard and comedians Jim Davidson and Jimmy Tarbuck.
Radio presenter Paul Gambaccini was also kept on police bail for 12 months after being arrested on suspicion of historical sex abuse in 2013, before being told he would not be charged.
Share or comment on this article
Most watched News videos
Share what you think
The comments below have been moderated in advance.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
Who is this week’s top commenter?
Find out now